Thursday, June 28, 2007

Inspiring Grand Rounds at Wandering Visitor

Wandering Visitor has done a really great job with this week's Grand Rounds, with the theme of 'what inspires you', which in turn inspired us to write Fuel for our Fire.

And, now I know that those rainblow splashes you see, when the sun is high in the sky, are called "circumhorizon arcs". Now, I want to know the name of the other ones that occur around an hour or so before sundown (or after sunup), where you see two horizontal blips of color ( - - ), one on the left and one on the right. My recollection is that these occur when the sun is at an angle of 22 degrees, but I don't know the name or the physics behind it.


Anonymous said...

circumhorizon arcs are not a type of rainbow.

Ladyk73 said...

I think they are called "sundogs,"
After doing a google search, I found the scientific name to be "parhelion."

To be a total geek...This reminds me of the northern lights...which reminds me of an interesting, yet unrelated topic. (this is how my brain works)

Did you know that the Earth is like 300 years over due for a magnetic polar reversal? The reversal should take 50 years, and or future decendents would see such optical delights with great frequency. Not to mention the rate of cancer and genetic mutations; and the destruction of modern infrastructure due to the temporary destruction of the Earth's electromagnetic field!

But the pretty lights!!!!!

So yes...I think they are called "sundogs."

NeoNurseChic said...

How is it that I've never seen these little blips? I have watched an awful lot of sunsets, as well! This reminds me to get my Florida pics online! That will make me happy today!! :)

Anonymous said...

I am due for a polar reversal as well but the drugs seem to be working.

Aisling said...

Lucky you.

I've yet to see either the blips or the arcs. But now am on the lookout for both! :)

Roy said...

Sundogs! Thank you, lady. I found an excellent site that describes more sun halos than I ever knew existed. Check out