Monday, January 25, 2010

Multi-Tasking To The Max

Okay, picture this: I'm sitting in front of my desktop computer. Swivel to the right and my laptop is there. On the desk in front of me is my cell phone on which I'm arranging a meeting via text message. My left shoulder cradles a phone against my left ear(my home line) where I've been on hold with Medicare for the last 10 minutes because I want to talk about details of the 27 page form that I need to fill out for my office change of address. My left hand holds a second phone (my fax line) to my right ear -- I'm on hold for an insurance company where I'm hoping to talk to someone to help a patient get reimbursement even though I'm out-of-network. My right hand types this blog post. I may explode but I won't have gone down without trying.


Anonymous said...

You made me laugh out loud, and I needed that today! It sounds as if you are a true multitasking expert. Hope you didn't explode!!!

Judy said...

Too funny! I just can't even imagine myself being that skilled!

Anonymous said...

It's fun to pretend you're busy.

moviedoc said...

Opting out of Medicare is much easier than changing your address, and think of the extra time for multitasking.

Sarebear said...

I had a comment last night, was about to hit PUBLISH and then my computer crashed! ARGH. It crashed alot last night, stupid thing.

It sounds like if you twirled around in your chair once, you'd literally be "all tied up", although at least one of the devices in question is cordless . . . .

Thanks for the image!

Today I FINALLY got back for my first appt. since surgery to see my psychologist, thanks to the kindness of the lawyers that work in the bldg with him (the bldg is old enough to be grandfathered out of handicapped access laws requiring installation of an elevator to the second floor, and I'm not quite up to tackling coming DOWN the curving staircase up to the second floor. I'm sure I could handle going up, but memories of the pretty big fall I almost took at the 3 week doc follow that the PA did a great save on me on, are still pretty fresh, getting down off that ortho table via crutch and step stool, and almost doing a header into the x-ray light box on the wall). We were able to use the one lawyer's conference room downstairs, which was quite comfortable, and we'll be doing so next week, as same lawyer will be out of town then.

Stitches will be officially completely healed then, that'll be 6 week surgical anniversary, so week after that perhaps I'll feel up to going up AND down the stairs, at 7 weeks. I should hope in two weeks that I'd be up to more than I am now!

Woops, sorry to go on so long! Plus, not sure when I'm coming off the crutch - my next doc appt is Feb 24, and I'd sure hope I'd be off it by then (eee, I'll be 38).

You know what was funny today, after therapy (psycho, not physical) went out to store for first time, and these two big strong guys about 12-15 years older than me, one of em asked me about how bad the surgery was to get through and recover from, the pain, dealing with it, recovery, and all that, and I felt, well, it was a confidence booster, and (he needs one done, btw, I had mentioned it offhand to him since we'd sort of struck up a conversation as he was loading stuff up on a shelf as he worked there), and he commented on how young I seemed for it, he and his partner, and I briefly explained why, but for such a tough guy to be well, worried about the pain and stuff, you know, I was glad that someone like that could be so open about their concerns, and not stuck in the tough, manly man, we bear all pain kind of thing, and I openly discussed without any gory details, how it was, without hopefully taking too much time (he WAS on the job of course, and customers passing by), but he seemed to really appreciate what I had to say. Anyway, it was one of the neatest interactions I've had in a long time, especially as I consider myself a bit of a "pansy" when it comes to pain, lol. I've done a heckuva lot better than I've thought, though, and done stuff that I never thought I could do. And I didn't, for the most part, use any, oh, your a big tough guy, you'll be just fine. It was a nice, human, moment, of connecting and saying hey, you know, like the nurses told me in the hospital, the first week is real mean, and it is, but you get through it, and the second week isn't a whole lot better, but it's better, and etc. etc. etc.

Woops, I went on s'more there. It was just a really unusual from several points of view, interaction. Me, the 37 year old stay at home, anxiety-ridden mother, given a hard-working physical labor-type 47-ish looking guy, advice about the difficulties, ups and downs, and what maybe isn't as hard as you might have thought, about a total knee replacement surgery, and some of what was.

Roy said...

Get well soon.

Sarebear said...

Thanks Roy.

That's really kind to hear, a nice boost, in a time when I wonder if some of the different types of pain are EVER going to end. In a time when I'm being asked to potentially face a repeat performance on the other knee, although with an upturn in flexibility on this knee, if that continues, in the end I may not need that under anesthesia manipulation after all, and can best choose my own time of surgery on the second knee to suit myself, with more recovery time, and to suit our schedule, such as having my daughter out of school. June would be perfect.

Although I still don't relish a repeat of this, and mentally, emotionally, I'm trying to steer away from thinking about it, the reality of the situation won't entirely allow me to avoid it.

Anyway, thank you Roy, very much. That means alot to me and cheers me up, as I've been in a bit of a doldrums these past few days.